Protecting and Promoting Your Interests
MAA to Host MSHA Contractor’s Workshop on January 28, 2020
In an effort to help train independent contractors about the Mine Safety and Health Administration's (MSHA) part 46 training regulations, the MAA Safety Committee will host its second MSHA Contractor’s Workshop on Tuesday, January 28, 2020 from 9:00 am to 11:30 am at the Michigan CAT Grand Rapids facility (7700 Caterpillar Ct SW, Grand Rapids, MI 49548).
During the training, MSHA will focus the presentation around contractor training responsibilities while working on part 46 mine properties.
As a reminder, independent contractors fall in one of the following two training categories which have different requirements:
New Miner Training or Newly Hired Experienced Miner Training
- This training is required if you are:
- engaged in mining operations, including developing, drilling, blasting, extracting, milling, crushing, screening or sizing materials, or hauling materials within the mine;
- a maintenance or service worker, working on mining equipment for frequent (a pattern of recurring exposure) or extended periods (more than five consecutive work days); or
- a construction worker who is exposed to hazards of mining operations for frequent or extended periods.
Site-Specific Hazard Awareness Training
The production-operator is primarily responsible for providing you this training. It must be given before you start work at each mine site.
This training is required for persons who may come on a mine site but who are not miners. Examples include:
- office or staff employees;
- scientific workers;
- delivery workers;
- customers, including commercial over-the-road truck drivers;
- construction workers who are not exposed to mine hazards;
- vendors or visitors;
- maintenance or service workers who are not at a mine for frequent or extended periods;
- maintenance or service workers who are working on non-mining equipment;
- or miners (such as drillers or blasters) who move from one mine to another while remaining employed by the same independent contractor.
If you would like to attend this free training, please contact Juanita Patson at the MAA office. Space is limited so please sign up today.