Protecting and Promoting Your Interests
MSHA Mine Fatality Alert
– On February 27, 2020, a miner died when an unsecured 20'x8'x1" steel plate standing on edge fell and struck him. The steel plate was being used to cover the end of a feeder to allow an equipment operator to build an earthen ramp to the feeder.
- Establish and discuss safe work procedures before beginning work.
- Identify and control all hazards.
- Task train everyone on safe job procedures and to stay clear of suspended loads.
- Require all workers to stay out of the fall path of heavy objects/materials that have the potential of becoming off-balance while in a raised position.
- Monitor routinely to confirm safe work procedures are followed.
- Be aware of your environment. Factors such as wind, snow, and icy surfaces can affect the stability of an object.
- When securing an object, identify the location of its center of gravity.